Re: <E36> "Brake light circuit failure"

Scott,

I'm not positive that this is your problem, but BMW had a recall on the
brake light switch for some 3-series cars.  Your car may have this problem.
Check out:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls

and search for 1995 BMW M3 (I know you have a '96, but model year
changeovers may make the delineation fuzzy).

Excerpt:
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 96V111000
Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:SWITCH:BRAKE LIGHT
Manufacturer: BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 180000

Year: 1995
Make: BMW
Model: M3
Manufactured From: JAN 1990 To: MAR 1994
Year of Recall: '96
Type of Report: Vehicle
THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH CAN FAIL ALLOWING THE SWITCH TO REMAIN IN THE
"BRAKE LIGHTS OFF" POSITION OR IN THE "BRAKE LIGHTS ON" POSITION.

IF THIS HAPPENS, THE BRAKE LIGHTS EITHER WILL NOT OPERATE OR WILL BE
CONTINUOUSLY ON, REGARDLESS OF BRAKE PEDAL POSITION. FOLLOWING DRIVERS
WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE VEHICLE IS STOPPING,
INCREASING THE POTENTIAL FOR A VEHICLE ACCIDENT.

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE EXISTING BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH WITH A NEWLY
DESIGNED SWITCH.

SYSTEM: BRAKES; HYDRAULIC; SWITCH; BRAKE LIGHT.
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES.
OWNER NOTIFICATION: OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AUGUST 5,
1996.

NOTE: OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN
AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A
REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117. ALSO CONTACT THE
NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE
AT 1-800-424-9393.

- -rb