dash lights on 89 735i

The dash blacklight for the shift position and trip/mileage indicator
appear to be burned out on my 1989 735i.  I pulled the instruments out as
far as I could and all the bulbs I could find looked OK (I replaced them
all), but it appears that the burned-out bulbs must be somewhere inside
the instrument cluster. Is this the case? Do I have to have someone take
my steering wheel off so I can get the cluster out for disassembly, or can
this be done with the cluster still in place, but pulled out as far as it
can go?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Henry

1989 735i