E23 - Automatic tranny problem

I have an E23, 1986 735i, with the 4 spd auto with the electric 3 position
switch. My problem is that recently the car has started to stick in the
3-2-1 mode even when I don't touch the switch at all.

This means I have to use the auto manually, not a real problem since I
removed the lock out lever, but when in this manual only mode I don't have
4th gear.

I have removed the switch and the connector at the gearbox and sprayed with
contact cleaner but no change.

It has now got to the point where it is almost permanantly on the 3-2-1
seeting.

Are there any other connectors in this wiring that I could look at before I
have to go inside the  gearbox, I don't want to do that as I have just put
new synthetic fluid in and its too pricy in Australia to go draining it out
just for the fun of it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards from DownUnder
Trevor Turner