E46 Sensor question

My wife went over a curb stop recently(really it was her) and damaged
the lower front bumper and 2 shields in front of the wheels. My question
is that when I pulled off the damaged left front shield( the plastic
piece in front of the wheel well)a sensor fell down. It has a kind of
needle shape about 1 and 1/2" long. Can anyone tell me what it is for
and where it goes? I am assuming it was attached to the plastic
somewhere but there is no clip or way to mount it. TIA

Bill Shafer '99 328i E46 Black