Wheel Cleaning: Summary

Hello, about a week ago I posted a message asking what's the best way=20=

to clean wheels.  I received a few responses.  Thanks a lot, I now=20
have shiny wheels!  A few people asked me to post a summary on what I=20=

found out.  Well, here are the 4 responses I received:

- --Message 1
Austin,

You want to get a good wheel brush, soft enough not to scratch. You=20
can buy
one at any auto parts shop. Spray on your wheel cleaner while dry and=20=

let
them sit for a few minutes then scrub em with the brush and eventually
rinse. You might want to wax them so that they're easy to clean next=20=

time.
Brake dust can eat through paint and metal, so if your last owner=20
never
cleaned them there might be some pitting.=20

The reason that the front's are dirtier that the rears? Most of your=20=

braking
power is in the front brakes and brake pads create dust which sticks=20=

to your
rims. Try a good website for more professional info like
www.Carcareoline.com <http://www.Carcareoline.com>=20
'95 ///M3

- --Message 2
Wheels are attacked primarily by brake dust, which is composed of=20
small, hot=20
metal filings, other brake pad materials and the adhesive that binds=20=

the pads=20
together.  This is very tough on wheels.  When then are not taken care=20=

of the=20
damage can become irreversible.  Do not use an acid based cleaner. =20
This will=20
only increase the damage.  If they don't come clean after substantial=20=

work,=20
this probably means that they will need to be stripped, buffed and=20
recoated.

Tom Shea

- --Message 3
Get some S100 wheel cleaner.  Most motorcycle shops carry it.  Spray=20=

on
dry let set 1 - 2 hrs and rinse.

- --Message 4
elbow grease & mild soap!  A lot of people like P21S cleaner, but see
www.carcareonline.com for more good details.  Remember that your
wheels are painted like your car - don't use really harsh stuff or
you'll take the shine right off.  The front wheels do most of the
braking and therefore suffer most of the dust generated by the brake
pads.