steering wheel squeak

I also have experienced an intermittent squeak (squeal or chirp) in my 96
e36.  This only occurred while turning right, and was more likely to occur
when air temperature was cold.   I picked the car up from the dealer(Keeler,
in Latham NY) last night for the third time.  The first attempt to
troubleshoot was centered around the power steering system (pump, fluid,
hoses, etc.).  The dealer greased the horn ring during second session two
weeks ago. This also did not work.  Yesterday Keeler replaced the airbag
ring seal and clips.  Fortunately for me my car is still under warranty, so
I was not advised of the parts cost. I was worried that due to the
intermittent nature of this symptom, and the fact that it occurs more often
in wintertime, that the next time it squeals will be next winter after my
car's warranty has expired.  I am encouraged that someone else has diagnosed
this problem and that your dealer has suggested the same solution as mine.
Unfortunately, to the point of your question, I can't offer you any
alternatives.  Good luck.

Howie
1996 328I Arrest-Me-Red.