<02> Odometer Repair

In BMW Digest v09.n1428 James Stone <acen@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have a 1973 2002a but the odometer has stopped at 250k.
> What are some easy things to check and what are likely culprits?

If your speedo still works, you have the classic 2002 odometer failure.
You can take it to a speedo shop and pay 75-125 USD for a repair.  You
can pick up a used instrument cluster at a swap meet or salvage yard
for less than half that.  If you are handy with tools and patient, you
can fix it yourself for free.

2002 Odometer Repair

0. Remove instrument cluster from dash.
1. While speedo is still in cluster, loosen big nut on back of speedo.
2. Remove speedo from cluster.  Handle carefully.
3. Remove big nut from back of speedo.
4. Remove speedo from back plate.
5. Notice that:
  a. Speedo cable input on rear drives speedo;
  b. Shaft from speedo to odo drives odo;
  c. Shaft from speedo drives a big aluminum-colored gear at
     the end of the odo number wheel stack;
  d. Odo is not turning because that big gear is slipping on
     the number wheel shaft;
  e. Number wheel shaft is held in position by friction with big gear.
(I don't recall whether this gear and shaft are on the trip odometer
or the regular odometer, but you will figure this out quickly enough.
It is the one which comes first after the speedo.)
6. Gently slide the number wheel shaft back and forth axially and note
that it is loose.
7. Find the correct axial position for the shaft.
8. Slide the shaft about 1/8 inch so that the spot where the big
gear normally fits is exposed.
9. Very carefully put a small drop of super glue on that spot on the shaft.
10. Quickly slide the shaft back into position.
11. Wipe off any glue between the shaft and the number wheel frame.
12. Set speedo aside while glue dries.  Check occasionally that shaft
is not glued to frame.
13. After glue is dry, test odo by running speedo with an electric
drill.
14. Reassemble cluster.
15. Reinstall cluster in dash.
16. Test.