RE: Bimmer bargain: 12 V Impact Wrench

From: Mark Williams <williamh@domain.elided>

> ... I have purchased a Campbell-Hausfeld RL1002 12V Impact
> Wrench kit and it has been marvelous in its operation...

I have to concur.  My wife bought me the Chicago Electric
version (possibly exactly the same...) for Christmas.  I
simply handed her the printout from the Harbor Freight
tools website.  She took the hint...

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Search on "impact" to find it.

I just checked and it is now 49.95.  I swear that my wife
only had to pay 39.95 a couple of months ago.  Oh, well...

The operation was a bit disconcerting the first time I
tried it -- I thought it was broken.  It started whirring,
but the socket wasn't turning.  It took me a few times
before I actually let it run long enough to get a good
whack.  Then I realized that this is likely the only way
to get a decent impact running on the low power available
through most lighter plugs.

The other thing about this operation is that it is
actually pretty decent for putting ON lugs.  Once the
lug is started, you only have to give it a single whack
and it snugs it up just fine to a torque well below the
requisite 75-80 ft-lb range allowing you to finish the job
properly with a torque wrench.  This saves a lot of wrist
work.

The only caveat with this particular model is that it
appears that you only get SAE socket sizes.  This is fine
for most foreign cars where the 3/4" size is within .002"
of 19mm.  For many German cars, however, you'll need to
pick up a 17mm impact socket.  I got one at Sears.

Do _NOT_ use a non-impact socket -- there is a very good
reason that they make special impact sockets.  Regular ones
will eventually shatter.

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner