ICV

Hi.  I have an 83 528e which has been running rough.  I went to a junk yard
and got some parts after talking to some people on this list and my mechanic.
I got a idle control valve and a temperature sender assembly including a circuit
board on top.  I got the parts from a 533i.  I don't know the year but the model
looked similar but not quite the same, maybe a little more square than my car.
The icv looked similar but it was plastic.  I was told not to buy plastic ones, but
for $2, I thought I'd give it a shot.  When I put it on, the car ran worse than before.
When trying to put the original back on, I pulled the 2 wires out of their connector.
I was at work at the time and had to drive the car home without the 2 wires connnected to the icv.  It idled high, at about 2000 rpms, but it seemed to run
better that with the connection broken.  Is this indicative of any certain problem?
How bad is it to run without the connection?

Thanks for any help

Mike Ahern
mahern@domain.elided