BMW Theft

A friend asked and so I researched car theft statistics and found
that the top 5 most stolen BMW's are all fairly old. Is this because
the way they were built made them easier to steal then?

Top 5 stolen BMW models nationwide in 1997
Year	Make	Model
1981 	BMW 	320I
1992 	BMW 	325I
1988 	BMW 	528E
1984 	BMW 	745I
1985 	BMW 	635CSI

The only list the 3 series made it onto was the "Worst theft losses"
(http://www.insure.com/auto/thefts/hldi698.html ) which relates to
the value of the loss.

Does the BMW CCA keep any theft statistics of their own?

I intend to have an alarm but wanted some input on if the BMW made
alarm was sufficient or if I should use a 3rd party alarm from Alpine
or other reputable company?

Thanks.

Michael