Oil Change Intervals

This ought to be a no-brainer, guys!

The lights are for those who never think about those things, a reminder to
the majority of Bimmer drivers who are not gear-heads like us.

Some would call us a bit anal retentive.

We tend to take considerably better care of our cars, and this is one of th=
easier things to do.  My father used to say (at 29=A2 per gallon) that
gasoline is the cheapest thing about a car.  Well, today you can change you=
oil (non-synthetic) and filter for less than a tankful of gas.  So, why not=
?

We just re-purchased my wife's old '89 Volvo 740 from her brother to let my
daughter drive, and I picked up a 5-quart container of Exxon Uniflo 10W-30
and a filter at AutoZone.

Cheap insurance, if you ask me.

If you read this list, you probably drive a bit harder than average, and
that makes it even more important.  High speeds and temperature mean more
blow-by and quicker oil deterioration.  The opposite, not driving long
enough or not reaching proper temperature are bad as well.  3,000 miles is
reasonable, 4,000 OK.  I think over 5,000 is pushing it.

Mark Johnson

'97 Z3 1.8 (Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles)
'90 525i (ditto)
'97 Mercedes 300E (my gosh, it's a diesel -- you gotta change this one!)
'75 2002 (in restoration, but it'll get GTX every 3,000, too!)