RE: TILT STEETING WHEEL OPTIONS

<DKoelmelM3@domain.elided> asks:
>     Can anybody shed some light on the pro & cons of adding a
> tilt steering wheel to a 97' E-36 M3. I have seen one list of
> of parts but really don't know if they are dealer obtained or
> what. Is there a kit type with instructions, etc.? Would love
> to hear from those who have installed one as to whether or
> not it is worth it. Believe it or not, I almost kept my Acura
> when finally deciding on the M3 just because I could not get
> the tilt steering wheel.

  The only reason to want tilt steering on an E36 M3 is if you are
significantly under 6' and the steering wheel is obscuring the bottom of
instrument cluster. If you are significantly over 6', you might have
problems seeing the top of the cluster assuming you can squeeze into E36 M3
in the first place.
  Otherwise the tilting feature is useless.
  I have the tilt wheel on my 12/94 production car (all pre-'95 production
M3s have it?). After initial 2 minutes of playing with it, I returned the
wheel into the initial "middle of the road" position and forgot about it.
  Part numbers and prices for retrofitting tilt steering wheel can be found
at: http://www.bmwmpower.com/TechProc/tiltwheel.htm You might have to
pre-order the parts (from the dealer) since they probably don't keep them
all in stock. I don't think there is a "kit type with instructions", but you
can contact Jim Powell for inspiration (he is the one who put together the
above page).

alex f