<E34> stuck glove box

Grr. My brother and I installed a CD changer in my wife's E34 535i and
managed to get the glove box stuck closed while doing so (removed it and got
it jammed while replacing it).

It's not locked, and in fact I can lock and unlock it. When locked the latch
has very limited travel and feels just like I'd expect. When unlocked the
latch has more travel, but won't disengage the mechanism. It feels like the
application of additional force would result in something breaking.

Any thoughts on how to unwedge things? Fortunately there's nothing inside,
but my wife isn't thrilled...

Thanks!

Steve Poole / Seattle / http://www.stevepoole.com