e30 gauge removal...

If your 318i is like my 325, then to remove the gauges you need to remove
the black cover under the dash near the pedals, then reach up behind the
dash on either side of the steering wheel for 2 aluminum nuts that you can
spin off by hand.  These hold the plastic panels on the front of the dash on
either side of the column, and expose more screws if I remember correctly.
Those aluminum nuts really threw me, and I disassemble dash panels for a
living!  Someone else had apparently tried to merely pry the front plastic
panels off the dash, judging by the pry marks!

- -Rod Birch