OBC display flaky

Any help out there in digest-land?  My '95 M3 has the basic display which
shows outside temperature, "check control", etc.  Recently, some of the lines
in the orange alphanumeric characters have become dim or out, but the
situation changes if I press on the plastic panel directly beneath the
display.  It acts like there is a flaky connector in there.  Any experience
with this?  It seems like it would be pretty easy to fix, but I don't know
how to get this panel off.  Any guidance appreciated.

Curt Allen