M535i for sale

For Sale: 1981 M535i

VIN: WBADG010XB4145602, Achat Gruen Metallic with black corduroy interior.
This car came stock with 218 hp Euro motor, oil cooler, f/r spoilers, 5-spd
Getrag racing-pattern gearbox, 3:07 LSD, 14" wheels/tires, big brakes,
Recaro Rally seats, M1 steering wheel, and nearly every luxury option BMW
had at the time, including sunroof. At the time of its debut in 1980 it was
the fastest production sedan in the world.  At the time it did 0-60 in 7.1
secs and topped out at 141 mph.  Since this particular car has been heavily
modified, it should exceed both of those times at present.
276,000 km.  In very good overall condition.
Reason for selling: I need more room for my family.

History: The original owner took the car to Alpina, where Alpina springs,
shocks, sway bars, f/r spoilers, dead pedal and 300 km speedometer were
installed. A D&W steering wheel was also added.
	In 1985 the car was purchased and shipped to the US. A mid-80's,
Pete McHenry Motronic 240 hp/300+ ft/lbs engine was installed, complete with
being bored out to 3.6 litres, 9.5:1 Mahle pistons, ported/polished head,
Schrick 282 cam, custom chip, et cetera.
	Following that other mods followed: H&R springs replaced the faulty
Alpinas, Bilstein Sport shocks, K&N air filter, BMP front stress bar, 15"
MSW basketweave wheels, black with chrome rims, Hella H4 headlights.
I purchased the car in December, 1996. Since that time the mods I have
installed include: Hartge highly ported-polished, big-valve head, custom
ram-air intake, Jacobs electronic ignition system, Bilstein HD shocks, Dinan
front camber plates, cross-drilled rear rotors, Pagid pads, Kevlar brake
lines, VDO gauge cluster, with oil press/temp and voltmeter, Alpine CD
player, JBL rear speakers, Momo Competizione gear shift knob, multi-outlet,
map light, compass, new floor mats, Hella air horns, cup holders, steel
wheels with Blizzaks, BMW factory tow hitch with 50mm [1.98"] ball [car
easily tows 900 lb. FF race car on single axle trailer], battery moved to
trunk, dual Schroth harnesses, ignition anti-lock device, LoJack, Autobahn
sideview mirror, Hella fog lights, PIAA Super Pro80 pencil beam driving
lights [235,000 candlepower each], and the body was undercoated.  I am
currently running 215/60 Bridgestone R-71 tires, which are virtually new.
As far as maintenance, there is a complete service record since I purchased
the car...down to every gallon of gas and every quart of oil, including all
receipts.  Nearly all work was done by Bavarian Specialties in King of
Prussia, PA. That includes: new radiator/gas tank/shocks/idler arm/tie rods,
rebuilt transmission, a CAT and the Hartge head as major items. A weakness
of the E-12 frame was where the differential is mounted to the frame. It had
begun to crack, as has been common with E-12 5 series. This was corrected by
using concrete reinforcing bars bolted to both the frame and the
differential.  There has been no noticeable problem since.  As far as I
know, there is no rust in the body.  Oil has been changed every 5,000 km
[3,000 miles] using Castrol GTX.
Problems currently identified in the car include: When I purchased the car
it did not burn a drop of oil. Unfortunately, I chose to switch to Mobil 1.
The result was a quart anywhere from 300 miles to over 1,000.  I have yet to
see, however, a single puff of blue smoke in the rear view mirror.  The rear
seat needs reupholstering, and the front bolster on the right side of
driver's seat is worn, though covered by the seat cover.  I have not used
the AC for two years...I simply do not use AC.  I do not know the condition
of the system.  It did work when the car was purchased.  There is a 3" crack
on the dash.  There are a few minor nicks/dings in the body.  The front
Alpina spoiler has been dinged and cracked on the passenger side but is
still intact.  The rear windows are sticking and two of the four automatic
locks stick in cold weather and must be activated manually. Were I to keep
the car, I would install a new keyless entry system.
This has been, without question, the greatest car I have ever owned.  I
offer it for sale only hesitantly, yet I am compelled by family circumstance
to do so.
Asking: $10,000, negotiable.
Phone: 610/705-0647; email: cgarrett@domain.elided
Chuck Garrettson