Dry Cell Batteries

The battery for my 1987 325i cabrio has been dead since last fall. Since
I store it for the winter, I
am now getting to the time to buy a new one. Sample prices, $100 at
Sears, about $85 at the
dealer with CCA discount, about $70 at Batteries Plus. At Batteries
Plus, the salesman asked if
the car sits a lot. I said yes. He said I should really get a battery
tender, they sell them for $60.

He then mentioned dry cell batteries. These are very small for
equivalent power. He said they can sit
all winter, no problem, they do not sulfate from inactivity as lead acid
batteries do. He said he uses
them in his motorcycles. They run from $100 to $169 for various sizes.

My question to the group:  Does anyone use these in their bimmer or have
any experience with
them?   I would think there are some Autocrossers or track drivers who
have/are using these.

It seems this is the way to go for my cabriolet. The issues would be the
connections and mounting. I
have not yet done any research on the size of these dry cells compared
with the battery tray under
the hood. I'm sure I could come up with something, but I don't want to
have to hack on the car at
all. This car is very clean and original.

Thanks in advance for any inputs or suggestions.
Scott in Wisconsin