RE: HP 22 (E34 automatic) reliability question

From: Dan -- "v1rotate" <v1rotate@domain.elided>

> ... Do they ALL fail? Any chance mine will last 250~300K
> if it was serviced well and I'm lucky?

I can't provide any direct advice on how best to treat
your trans.  However, in answer to the above question, I
can certainly report that there is a guy at work here who
is the original owner of an '87 or '88 535i with the auto
(one of the "bad" ones...).  240K miles and still ticking.
He claims that he has never worried about getting the
fluid flushed either.  Maybe that's the secret...

Regards,
Mike Kohlbrenner