E30 buying tips (325is in particular)

My premise is that a BMW will run up to and beyond 300k. Provided, that the
car is cared for. My 528e's engine is in great shape at 219k, it's just the
rest of it that is showing age. As I look to the smaller E30 series I am
concerned that the engine will hold up as well. I have driven a lot of cars
in my search and can say the average BMW driver takes care of his car very
well.

So what worries should I have looking at, say a 1987 325is w/ 180k on it?
(timing belt?)

Can anyone comment of the handling differences between a 325i and a 325is?

What attracts me to the "is" model is the interior, the seats are more
comfortable.

I still would rather have a 4dr, but just didn't like the interior of the
"i" model, and most of the premium package models have automatic
transmissions (out of 10 only 1 was a 5spd).

any comments can be sent to me at:
dane_c@domain.elided

thanks for all the advice so far
Dane C.

- -and yes Steve I am holding out for the 5spd.