RE: long term 325 ownership

Daniel Pham <dpham@domain.elided> asks:
> I'm considering a 1991 BMW 325 and I'm concerned with the
> maintenance costs. How much would a t-belt job go for?

About 2.5 hours of labor and around $80 in parts (t-belt, t-belt tensioner,
3 aux belts, water pump, gaskets). Parts other then the t-belt itself are
almost optional, but all of them are wear items that come off to get to the
t-belt. Thus their replacement is highly recommended.
Most importantly, this is a very straight forward DIY job and worth learning
given the frequency of t-belt changes (every 4 years of 50-60K miles).

> A/C, is that expensive?

If it goes, $200 will buy you a R134a retrofit kit. Add another 2-3 hours of
labor to swap things out. Deduct the credit for up to 2 lbs. of R12 still
left in the system.

> How much should I set aside each year in owning one of
> these babies?

Depends entirely on the condition and mileage you start with.
Between 130-170K miles you will be replacing the wheel bearings, some
engine/transmission/rear diff seals, engine/transmission mounts, control
arms/tie rods. More if you autoX your E30.
Parts and labor for no-wear items might average out to $1K/year.
Not including wear items like brake rotors/pads, rear shock mounts and tires
that are as expensive as you wish to spend on them.

> I've owned other European Marquees and am starting to consider
> a Prelude/Acuras due to running costs.

no comment.

E30s are fun little cars and great daily drivers.
They are pretty cheap to buy used and pretty predictable in maintenance.
Unbeatable for driving/parking in the city.

YMMV,
alex f