Re: long term 325 ownership

I have a 90/91 E30 325i SE. I assume you are looking at the E30 because you
mentioned the timing belt (The E36 325i does not have one).

We have had the car for almost 18 months, and have spent NZ$1171.85 - that;s
about US$550. I replaced: plugs, coolant, radiator hoses,all V-belts (not
BMW brand), rotor/distributor cap, air intake boot, rocker cover
gasket/shaft plugs, air filter, fuel filter, timing belt + tensioner, a few
oil changes (Mobil Super S and BMW Filter). I used all BMW parts.

It also had a radiator replaced under warranty - it leaks about 3 drops, and
we told the dealer, who sent us a brand new one which I installed myself.

Most of these items are not going to need replacing for a very long time.
There are a few other things that need doing - rear subframe bushes
(=US$50), oil sump gasket weeps (does not drip oil though), rear trans oil
seal (again does not drip, but weeps).

Basically, this car is in better condition than the Toyota it replaces, and
all the parts have been cheaper, although the toyota was never looks after
as well - we used non genuine parts (for cost reasons). It blew both
headgaskets and cost about US$500 just for the parts to repair it!

As you can prbably tell, I do all the work on the car myself - that saves a
lot, plus I don't trust mechanics as much as I trust myself!

Here in New Zealand Honda parts are *very* expensive - more than mitsubishi
or toyota - easily. The E30 is a simple car to work on if you wish to do it
yourself. Front drive Hondas (and similar) are more complicated with the
entire drive train crammed into the front. The E30 has a lot of room for
working.

You can see pics of our car (and some information) at my webpage on the BMW
page.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Allan :-)
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/9040/
"How do I set my laser printer on stun?"