Re: BRAKE LIGHT

Did you replace the wear sensors?  I have an '85 318i, which has front discs
and rear drums, and the left front caliper has a wear sensor installed in
the inboard pad.  I'm not sure whether the rear brakes have a wear sensor on
your car or not.

One question though...when you say "overhead sensor display's BRAKE light",
are you talking about the "Check Control" display above the rearview mirror?
  My 318i doesn't have this, so I can't speak from true experience.  But I
have other (non-E30) BMWs with the Check Control computer, and any
indication about brakes would be for a failed brake light.  A brake wear
sensor or brake fluid sensor will light up on the instrument panel, along
with the 'brake' light for the parking brake.

- -rb