Re: all - wheels

Allan Williams <allanw@domain.elided> writes:

>I want to fit 15" alloys to our E30 325i, but the 15"basketweaves are very
>expensive here in New Zealand (=US$600 used).
>I can get some E30 M3 wheels for half that, but they are 5 stud - so I'm
>looking into redrilling my rotors for 5 studs. I think I can do it
>(machinist friend will help - I'm just checking fit).

 There's not enough room on the hub to re-drill the 4-lug hubs to 5-lug.
The M3 bolt pattern is 5x120mm,  and the M3 hub is a lot larger than
the 325i hub.

>I need to know what 5 stud BMW whells I could fit. The E30 M3 wheels may
>stick out too far, so I'm looking at maybe 5 series basketweaves or
>somewhere that would suit an E30.  I think I'll need 15x6.5 or 15x7,
>and I think I'll need to stick with the 35mm offset to kepp them in the
>right place on the car.

35mm would be too much offset for either of those 15" sizes,  the
tires will rub on the insides (strut tube up front and the inner fender
tub in the rear.

>Can anybody offer any ideas on wheels and offsets (as well the the
>hubcentric problems)

 A 15x7 wheel should have an offset of between ET20 and ET27 max.
A 16x7 can range between ET20 and ET30,  and maybe even ET35
although that might put the inner sidewall right up against the front
strut tube.  The E30 318/325 series hubcentric center hub is 57mm.

>My other option is to redrill to a different 4 stud pattern and use spacers
>if neccesary to fit other four stud wheels.
>My options for aftermarket wheels are very limited here, and I'd like to get
>them second hand.   Thanks people!!!  Allan :-)

 Why change to a different 4-lug bolt pattern?   The 4x100 seems to be
the most popular pattern of all (BMW, Honda, Miata, Volkswagen, Toyota).
The big difference is the hubcentric centerbore diameters on the various
makes.  The Miata hub is very small and the wheels won't go onto the
BMW hubs.  The Honda hub is slightly smaller than the BMW hub and
the wheels will get hopelessly stuck if you were to crank the lugs down.
But the Volkswagen hub is *exactly* the same size as the 4-lug BMW
and aside from the offset differences,  are a perfect fit on the Bimmer
and would be a good place to look (there's a Lot more wheels available
for FWD VWs than 4-lug BMWs).

 If you can't find wheels with the correct offset for your BMW, the best
option would be to look at 15x7 or 16x7 ET35 or ET40 wheels in a FWD
Volkswagen fitment and use H&R 15mm or 2mm spacers and longer
lugbolts to bring em into the correct offset range for the 325i.  These
two sizes of spacer are hubcentric to both the car and the wheel and
will positively center the wheel just as if it were bolted directly to the
hub.  This is what BBS has been doing for a few years - selling VW
wheels to the E30 owners and include 4 special 18mm BBS "adapters"
(spacers) and longer lugs to make them the correct offset for the
Bimmer.

 When you're looking at a set of wheels,  measure the backspace.  The
car will tolerate a range between 4.75" and 5.1" on a 15x7 wheel. The
factory backspace on E30 325is wheels is 5" so stay within this range
and you shouldn't have any tire clearance problems.  This is a good way
to tell if a wheel is a candidate,  and if you'll need spacers or not.  Lay
a straight-edge across the edge of the rim (NOT the tire) and just
measure straight down to the mounting surface, and that's your
backspace.

 Randy Walters
 89 325is

 http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=153582&a=1200064