E36 hesitation

I have a '95 325is and it's been having some hesitation accompanied by an
idling problem.  When I have my lights on, the rpm's don't settle like
they should.  The car idles way down, almost like it's going to stall and
then it compensates by reving up to 1000rpms, then oscillates like that
probably 2 or three times before settling at ~600rpms.  I've been advised
that it could be my intake air control valve.  Any thoughts from the E36
experts or otherwise? Thanks.