Intermittent fuel guage on a '88 E32

I had the original replaced with a salvaged gauge with no improvement. If I
give the dash a good smack with my hand, frequently pops back to life. I'm
thinking it could be poor contacts between the gauge and the dash Integrated
Circuit card, or a bad card. The dealer thinks it's probably the card and
quoted an absurd price for replacing it, like around $750 for the part and
$200 for labor. What are my options? Is it hard to tear the dash apart to
monkey with it? Are refurfished IC cards available? Is there a manual or
site that describes dashmanelement?

Regards - Drew