Re: E30 318is suspension help

Mark Bolmida <mbolmida@domain.elided> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about suspension
>parts.  I have a 1991 318is and it still rides great and is quiet , but it has a
>bit of roll when cornering. I want to get new suspension parts but am not
>sure exactly what to get.

 A "bit" of body roll?  In stock form, these cars lean a LOT :-)

>1st question:
>what to get, what parts are routinely changed with a job like this? shocks
>struts bushings nuts and all little parts I need for the job etc.

 Well new suspension bushings won't do anything for the body roll,  but
if you want to refresh the suspension you should install new control arms
with balljoints up front and new control arm bushings.  At the rear, you
can replace the crossmember bushings and trailing arm bushings.

 If you want to reduce body roll,  you'll have to get stiffer aftermarket
springs (there's a large selection of choices).

>2nd question:
>what company to go with
>I love the stock suspension and with the engineering that went into it and
>the money its probably a good thing. Is Boge the OEM for this car? The
>normal driving is good the sound is good, its just old? Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Mark Bolmida
>1991 318is I'll be buried in it

 I believe Boge is OEM for your car,  and if yours have a lot of miles then
new ones will firm up the ride a little.

 Check out the E30 Message Board if you haven't been there yet:
http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/msgboard/board.pl

 Randy Walters
 89 325is