318iS idle problems

Greeting from Finland,

I am having a bmw 318iS, -90, about 165tkm driven.
The car is having at the moment problems with idle: when stopping eg. to
traffic lights, the rpm's go so low that the engine almost stops, then the
engine puts more revs, and after it stedies itself. The idle sometimes
variates itself between 700 and 1100 revs.
Also, specially with cold engine, while driving you can notice that the
engine is not giving constant "force" when driving on a fixed rmp with small
gear.

I am wondering what would be the most likely problem, because there is many
reasons in the engine of what/which this might be a result of.

  Pasi Siiskonen

pasi.siiskonen@domain.elided