ongoing coolant trouble

    Hello again, a few weeks ago I noticed the coolant overflow tank on my
'86 325e was full of white bubbly foam. The general concensus was that the
head gasket could be blown causing pressure to leak into the coolant system.
I changed the oil and it was clean as could be with no trace of water in
itand the engine had not lost any power. I asked around town and finally
took it in to get a tune at a place that would flush the coolant system, the
guy there said the white bubbles could be some kind of stop leak or similar
additive that the previous owner had put in the car.
    Last week I started work with the census bureau delivering questionaires
to rural residents of the county. I put 600 miles on my car last week and
nothing seemed at all out of whack but today on my lunch break I was sitting
in the parking lot of the Waterville post office eating lunch when I heard a
loud boom and white steam flooded out from under the hood. I quickly turned
the car off and popped the hood to find the head radiator hose (a very thick
1.25" molded rubber tube) had blown into three different pieces. After the
initial panic I started wondering if the headgasket had be blown all this
time and I hadn't noticed anything, or if the tube was just old and worn.
Being a small town the local NAPA store didn't have the replacement tube,
but I rigged an old piece of fire hose in its place for the 30 minute drive
down the hill. The car drove fine staying within normal temperature
perameters after I finally got the clamps tight enough. I made it home and
got the right part put on.
     My biggest worry now is whats gonna stop this from happening tomorrow
and could this be a sign of some really serious problem?

Thanks for reading my runon story and thanks for all the helpful insight
provided on this digest.
Phillip Detering 1986 325e