Re: e28 Temp Guage at 2/3s

hot weather:

Did you fush the system with the old radiator in place, then put the new
one in?  If not, I would flush again.

Check the fan clutch as mentioned by another post.

Check that the electric fans are both coming on (I forget if the car has
one or two) AND that the fans run at both high and low speeds.

Consider installing lower temp thermostat and lower temp switches on the
side of the radiator which control the fans (these two items will make
the car run cooler in cool weather and will give the car a bit of a head
start in cooling in hot weather.)  They will help a little, not a lot.

If the outside temp is around 90 to 100+ and you are sitting in traffic,
you may see the temp guage slightly past 1/2 and on its way to 2/3s.

I have a 1988 535i with 262,000 miles, proper flush, new radiator, the
above mentioned temp switches, and thermostat.  My car does go past half
in hot weather, but not by much.  In cool weather (40-50 degrees) on the
freeway, it runs below one-half, but above 1/3.  Some may say this is
too low, but it has not hurt the plugs or gas mileage, so I am happy
with it.

Jim Dye