'87 635 Power Loss

OK Guys, this time I need a hand.
I was running my '87 635 hard last weekend for a short run. I hit 2nd gear into 3rd and the engine started to fumble and die. I just got pulled of to the side in time
and shut it down. It started after a few tries but sounded as if was running on less than 6. I went to pull into the local mall parking lot to examine her for obvious
signs of distress.
I got under the hood in the dark and could not find anything obvious. I started her up again and it still sounded funny. Shut it down and call home for help! I
waited for about 15 minutes for my son to arrive and we started the car up. Sounded OK so we tried to drive her home to the shop. Got in the shop OK, checked
for all the usual items, adjusted the valves, changed plugs etc.The car seems to rev OK, but I have a complete lack of power from what it was. At the same time this
happened, I started to have a loud rattle from inside the converter on the exhaust. It has gotten really loud lately.
My question: Can this convertor problem and my
power loss be related???? If not, what should I start looking to??
We did a compression check while we had the plugs out to rule out a head gasket problem and all checked OK, 135/140 across the board.
I need help! Spring is almost here in PA.
Thanks guys!

Tom M. in PA