Strange Fuel Gage Behavior

Hello Digest,
Recently, I've noticed a strange behavior with the fuel indicator on my 97
328.  After a fill-up, the needle will randomly "bounce" between empty and
full.  It's a fairly quick movement in that it will sweep over to E and stay
for a while before sweeping back to F.  After I consume enough fuel to move
the needle off the Full mark, the gage appears to correctly track the fuel
level and the range display appears to be OK.  Things work normally until
the next fill up.

Is this a sign of a potential problem?

Also, I was one of the few lucky ones to get the Inspection II included in
the 36K miles service agreement! :-)  My dealer told me that *rarely*
happens!  Only 40 miles left until the service agreement expired.  Be
careful new BMW buyers.  Inspection II is a fairly major service costing
around $700 - $900!

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Scott

_____________________________  ____________________________________

Scott Trimber
Hewlett-Packard                   e-mail  : scott_trimber@domain.elided
<mailto:scott_trimber@domain.elided>
Supply Chain                      US Mail : 1501 Page Mill Rd MS4L-4
Information Solutions                        Palo Alto, CA. 94304
Palo Alto:  Telnet/650.857.5807
FAX:        Telnet/650.857.8234

"Riding in a convertible is like sailing without the wetness" - Einstein
'97 328iC