RE: Alarm question (long)

Alrik,
IMHO, the early models (E-24 included) are difficult vehicles to I install a
complete alarm system in.  Unlike the E-34 and later models that were set-up
with a factory alarm option and alarm wiring brought to a central point, the
E-24's require a substantial amount of new wire/circuit installation to
include options such as the starter disable, flashing lights, hood, trunk
glove compartment switches into the alarm.  Since I was into maxing out my
alarm options, I also installed a motion/tilt and a body impact sensor.  I
even located a terminal for the driver side door handle switch.  That one
gets me when I have forgotten to disable the alarm and I pull up on the door
handle.
I have been working in electronics for 30+ years and my fears are not so
much which alarm and alarm options to install but who will install the alarm
and options without damaging the vehicle interior and/or destroying the
wiring.  I have done all my alarm installations so I don't have to explore
this requirement and I am unable to give you shop recommendations.  One of
the fastest ways to total a car is to damage the wiring harnesses and once a
less than knowledgeable individual has hack around in the vehicle wiring you
will search long, hard and pay dearly to fine someone with the ability and
desire to resolve the problems.  A car battery is capable of turning small
gauge wiring into a real crispy mess.  The issue is the last guy to touch
the vehicle's wiring owns the future electrical problems even if it the
complaint is not connected to any work they performed.  FYI,  Should a shop
damage your car during a shop visit and you choose to not return it to then
for another attempt to repair their mistake, turn a claim into your
insurance company.  They have a responsibility for maintaining you vehicle's
value for all accidental occurrences including the negligence of a mechanic.

If you elect to have a shop do the alarm installation ask about their
warrantee.  Specifically what is covered and what if you should experience
first time problems shortly after the installation.  Even the best
automotive electrician/installer can induce unrelated electrical problems
when the interior panels come off and they start routing around the wiring
and electrical systems.  SI batteries are such a possible casualty when the
battery is disconnected for an extended period.
I would test their experience with the vehicle.  Do Not allow an installer
to gain some German car experience on your M6.  Pick a shop that specializes
in BMW's even if you have to pay the big bucks.  Pick a shop that is willing
and recommends the alarm options you want.  If you think you are twisting
their arm to install options, it is possible your request exceeds their
capability.  It is better to want an alarm installed than to have one that
is poorly installed which causes nothing bit grief.  They should be able to
show you they have an ETM for your vehicle and an Alarm Installation
Reference Guide that provides recommendations and terminal locations for
your M6.  There can be many wiring and electrical changes from model to
model and year to year and guessing only causes problems they will not be
able to resolve without the proper electrical documentation on your car.
Also ask to review their current work in the shop.  You should be
comfortable with what you see.  Removed interior panels must not be stores
on the paint work, the shop should be spacious and organized.   The wiring
of a properly installed alarm system will be undetectable from the vehicles
original wiring.  The use of colored quick wiring splices are a cheep and
dirty way to install wire taps without taking the time to locate available
connectors and installing the alarm wiring without causing damage to the
existing wiring.

I installed Alpine alarms.  They had all the bells and whistles.  I also
purchased a multi function remote and optional accessory receiver module
that I installed as a garage door receiver.  With one multi function remote
I am able to control the alarms in 3 vehicles and control two garage doors.

The OBC on the M6 has the ability to store a security code that must be
entered before the car will start(fuel injector cutoff) and after 3 attempts
to start the car alarm horn will sound.

When I park at a hotel I will arm the Alpine alarm and set the OBC code.
To have sensors for:
Doors
Driver's Door handle
glove compartment