[E36 M3]: Coolant doesn't fully drain

I recently replaced the coolant in my 95 M3 (it had been two years
since the previous owner did it), but I only seemed to get about
1/2-2/3 of the old coolant to drain even though I followed the
Bentley manual procedure (removed radiator and block drain plugs,
loosened radiator cap, turned heat to full).

When I replaced the coolant, the expansion tank filled very quickly,
although after running the car for a day I had to top if off again (I
followed the bleeding procedure called for by the manual).

Any suggestions as to what I did wrong?  I'm wondering if turning the
heating controls did anything with the ignition off (I'd think the
climate control would need the ignition to be on to do anything).

Thanks,
James
James McElroy
mailto:mcelroy@domain.elided