Re: Subject: OBC: Avg mpg on E28 535i

Someone wrote:
 > Hello All,
 > I just bought my first BMW, an '86 535i. My question
 >is this:  On the on-board computer's average
 >miles/gallon display, is read something like 50-60 mpg
 >all the time... is there something I need to do to
 >reset/recalibrate/repair it? >>

Then Stan wrote...
>Hit the button on the top left that convert the reading from metric to
>English.  You're reading kilometers per liter.

And now I reply to Stan's suggestion:

Wouldn't the kilometers/liter display be lower than the Miles/Gallon
display?

To convert Kilometers to Miles, you multiply Kilometers by .621.
To convert Liters to Gallons you multiply Liters by .264.

If his OBC was calculating 50 kilometers per liter, switching the display
from Metric to English would result in an impressive 117+ miles per gallon
on the display!!  If the OBC was calculating 50 miles per gallon, switching
the display from English to Metric would result in a paltry 21.3 kpl on the
display.  Either way, methinks something's hosed.

John Virnig
'97 328is