Locked Out!

Message text written by INTERNET:bmw@domain.elided
>I just bought a used 1990 535i.  I walked out this morning to get in, an=
d =

the doors won't unlock, nothing.  I thought maybe it was the battery is =

dead, but shouldn't I still be able to unlock the doors?  Could it be =

something with the security system?<

I had the same problem with a flat battery.  Bentley and car handbook say=

turn key while holding handle up.  This didn't work so I called the
dealer:- you have to play with the key and the handle together and the lo=
ck
gradually opens.  It takes about half a minute!

I was later told by a mechanic that I should have opened the boot (trunk)=

and connected another battery to the trunk light.  This gives enough powe=
to unlock the doors (so he says!).

Good luck!