Re: How do i get my fog lights to stay on with my high beams

I'm curious what state you live in where the inspectors can actually tell
that you have Euro lights.  I haven't had US lights in my past three cars
and have never had an inspector look twice.

There is more than jsut a wiring harness issue as to why your fogs won't
come on with your high beams.  It's the law in the US... fog lights and high
beams are not supposed to be on at the same time.

Not to start an argument, but there's actually a legitimate reason why this
law is in effect:

High beams are designed for long-view distance.  They have a precisely
defined beam pattern and are focused.  This helps you clearly see what is
ahead of you and further down the road with an evenly illuminated beam
pattern.

US fog lights (which are useless except for lighting up a parking spot) have
a broad, diffuse beam with very little distance-projection.  They are
designed to be used in inclement weather to see what is directly in front of
you.  They make a "hot spot" on the road right in front of the car that is a
DISADVANTAGE to long-range viewing as your pupils contract in response to
this hot spot.   Your long-range vision is decreased as less light is
reflected from far away and your pupils are "closed down" in response to the
bright light right in front of the car.

Using both together doesn't help you see any better and is a quick way to a
traffic violation if the officer needs yet another reason to pull you over.

Thought: they make auto-dimming rear view mirrors... why don't they make
auto-dimming foglights for people that forget to turn them off when there is
oncoming traffic?

- - Rob Levinson
UUC Digest Listowner: http://www.uucdigest.com