1993 525i - do I have an alarm?, fix for bad speedometer?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1993 525i 5 spd from a dealer.  After I bought the car
I noticed that the owner's manual included a BMW security alarm manual that
the previous owner had highlighted information in.  The dealer had no
information on alarm or remotes.  My question is, how do I know if there is
an alarm installed and if so, how can I get it activated?

Next, the speedometer is starting that irritating habit of working
intermittently (this has happened with each BMW I have owned - all 4!).
Instead of paying the Stealer for fixing it, how do I fix/replace it?  Is it
expensive?.

Thanks much.

Paul Fiorello
pfiorello@domain.elided

1993 BMW 525i, 5spd. (Just could not afford that 540i, 6 spd.)
1975 BMW 2002 (my first love - got rid of it after 3 EGR systems -
California!)
1979 BMW 528i (one of the greatest cars ever! Had to sell when I was poor)
1985 BMW 535i Euro (also a great car, before most of the damn electronics!
Wasn't worth fixing after the paint, obc, and brake system went problematic)
1988 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon (I stay in the right lane!)
1969 Datsun 2000 roadster (150 HP, posi-traction, Camaro Killer)