RE: Audio question, part 3

Yes!  Thanks so much Eric, the problem was the antenna adapter.  I followed
your advice and taped it all together and it now works perfectly!  Also, I
tried that procedure for removing the head unit before, but I wasn't sure
how hard I could pull.  I tried it again yesterday and sort of rocked it
back and forth and out it came!  The procedure is the same for the 1005,
BTW.

I tried simply disconnecting the parking brake wire but that didn't work.  I
forgot to try attaching that wire to ground and do away with that circuit
all together.  Do you think that would work?  If not, were did you get the
switch and can you tell me a bit about how it works?

My audio is now nice and quite like it was before.  On a suggestion from
Dean (thanks Dean!)  I bought some Niles home wall mount volume controls and
wired them in to the wires coming out of my tuner module (the head unit's
guts) and before the hk amp.  With these set about half way everything is
great.  The steps in volume are again much smaller and the overall volume
has been nicely attenuated.  Before I couldn't have a conversation with
someone with the volume at 3!  The spoken commands for the navigation system
are now quieter and more pleasant as well.

Thanks also to Steve Martin and everyone else who offered their advice!

Once again happy,

Chad