Electrical Surge

My E36 '95 M3 is has been electrically unhappy since I've owned it. About 10
times in the last year it's decided to play dead (Like it is immobilised)
and recently the OBC/thermometer etc display glows at twice the brightness.
What the hell is going on! I afraid that it is surging. Any theories?

I have an after market alarm+immobilizer and a rather demanding stero
system, but my battery is perfect, but it is a Shell batt rather than stock.
Please feel free to guess, I'll try anything.

Jay
'95 M3