Driving in snow

All things equal, this is mainly an issue of tire choice. Thinner ones do
not "float" as explained by another so you definitely want thinner.

In terms of configuration, I used to think that you needed fwd to survive a
bad winter - then I lived in Finland for the winter months. There I saw
ton's of rwd MB, BMW's and Volvo's running around on good snow tires - many
use studded of course. RWD can be used successfully in the winter months w/
proper tires and a knowledgeable driver. Get a set of steel rims and good
snow tires if you want to travel w/ out worries. Put some extra weight in
the trunk for added traction. Don't boot it around corners.

Think about it engineering wise; 4wd or fwd will do nothing for your braking
and nothing for large radius turns. You will get improved acceleration - but
that can get you in trouble! If you elect to buy a SUV, you get a nice high
center of gravity, more weight to stop, questionable suspension,
questionable anti-lock, zero road-feel, etc. That why you see so many in the
ditch when the snow flies (where they belong, IMHO. I love when they end
their excursion with a nice roll over finale, ha! That's what the high CoG
gets you! Hopefully, no one gets hurt. What am I saying? - thin out the herd
some more!)

My current stable and experiences in the snow:
'88 325 ic - garaged, ok on all season tires - easy to spin if too much
throttle
'88 Audi 90 quattro - on snow tires, absolutly unbeatable. On Yokohama
street rubber, can be scary.
'86 SAAB 900S - poor tires but fwd is certainly idiot proof - no chance of
kicking out the rear.
'83 944 on fat R1 rubber - I have actually pushed the car myself w/ the
engine running and the car in gear to go up a driveway!

Adam