RE : <E36> Gear shift in winter.

Hi Anup, You didn't mention what year your 318i is. I have
the same car, 93, I've only had it for one week so far and it
seems to have the same problem with the 2nd gear especially
just after startup and the initial shift from 1st to 2nd. It will
go in and then just kind of pop out but go in the next time I tried
it but only after driving for a little more distance. I talked to my
mech who has serviced the car when it was with the previous
owner and he said something about a service bulletin having
been issued saying that it was normal and that customers
should be "more patient" and let their vehicles warm up a little
more before the gears shift. I've been away from the digest
for about a year now since the demise of my 86 325e which
also suffered the same problem when it was cold the only
difference being that 2nd would not go in at all even with the
clutch depressed while it goes in the 318i but pops out. The
car that I had since then was an '88 Audi 80 Quattro (just
missed testing it in the snow by a day), and the problem on
really cold days seemed to be getting it to go into first on
occasion. My mech says that the vehicle is in excellent
condition so I just think it has something to do with the
weather, the only question that seems to bother me is why
its only confined to Bimmers.

Mike Theuri
'93 318i