RE: ice problems and bmw roadside assistance(comments)

Scott,

I've driven an '85 318i for twelve straight years, through all types of
weather thrown at me in the Washington, DC area, and I've never needed to
call a tow truck to get me out of a winter jam.  I've always driven the car
with summer tires, too (Pirelli P6 and Yokohama A509).

The car doesn't have ABS, ASC+T, DSC, or limited slip.  It has drum brakes
in the rear.  It's a real high-tech car!

It's all about learning winter driving skills.  BMW provides a tool, you
need to learn how to use it.  Proper snow tires would help, too.

Did you ask BMW what the Germans/Europeans do to be able to drive their cars
year-round?  You'll probably find that (four) proper tires are at the top of
the list.  And you'll probably also find that Roadside Assistance is an
BMWNA offering to keep up with the "ALexEedIti's"
(Acura/Lexus/Mercedes/Infiniti).

- -rb