removing shift knob on 325i

RE: Removing shift knob on '90 325iC
Lorenzo:
I just did this to replace the shift lever boot in my '87 325iS. I
pulled straight up on the knob fairly hard, maybe with enough force to
lift something that weighs about 10 to 15 pounds, and it came off
easily. There seems to be a spring-loaded catch that you have to
overcome. Putting it back is the reverse--just push it down until it
clicks in place. It has to be lined up properly to fit into a slot that
you will see at the top of the shift lever.
Good luck.
Peter Cain
London, Ontario