Re: Failed emissions inspection for NOx

Thank you everyone who responded to my problem of failing the new
emissions test here in New Jersey.  As some of you sugested, I checked
the O2 sensor.  It read a steady 0.1V with the engine warmed up, and not
fluctuating like it should, even when I opened the crankase to the air
by removing the dipstick.  Switching it out was no problem, and a new
one (the one with four wires) set me back about $90 at the dealer with
my BMWCCA discount.

I returned to the inspection station for my retest, and they wern't even
doing the new test anymore!  The lady who inspected it said that when it
gets too busy they use the old (non-dynometer) test.  Seems funny
because the wait was less than the first time I went.  In any case I
passed, but now I don't know what my NOx emissions are since that's not
part of the old test.  I feel robbed of the gratification of knowing I
solved the problem, but I guess I can't complain since I don't have to

Gabe Mintier