Audio question, part 2

Hello all,

Well this week I had a navigation system installed in my car (1998
328is w/hk sound system upgrade).  The system is Alpine's new DVD-ROM
based unit and works very well.  I got a new head unit (Alpine
CVA-1005) which doubles as the display for audio and the nav system.
Everything works very well, except that it is very loud.  Listening to
music with the volume at 3 and talking to someone is sometimes
difficult.  I am assuming that this is due to the head end being a
"high power" one and that its amplified signals are running into my
preexisting amps.  I asked the installers if there was anything they
could do about that and they replied that there wasn't.  Couldn't I
just get some line level converters to convert the signals coming out
of the head unit to the line levels that the amps are expecting?  If
this is possible, are there any downsides I should be aware of?  I
don't know much about car audio, so any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

"I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more
planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system. "

End of bmw-digest V9 #1356