Fwd: Need 325 cold start help

Bob:

My immediate suspicions are your airflow meter and the
connections to it.  Find the multipin plug, and take a look.
It is famous for the early bucking problems you mention.
Clean, look for corrosion, all of that.

But it is *not* famous for the drop-to-idle problem.  I
suspect the airflow meter itself for that symptom:  dirty
wipers on the controls themselves - not reliably cleaned
or otherwise repaired, in my experience.  Is there any
way you can borrow a replacement, as opposed to buying
one and potentially discovering that it did not cure the
problem?  (BavAuto gets $265 for one)  :(

Speaking of $$$, what's up with $200 each for the sensors?
$95 from BavAuto.  No affiliation, kick-back or nothin'!
A highly unlikely source of the problem, IMHO.

Have fun, tho!  Larry F.

>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:26:53 -0330
>From: Bob Norman <bnorman@domain.elided>
>Subject: Need 325 cold start help...Please!!
>
>Not sure if this made it to the list or not, as I have been having email
>problems all day.  If anyone has responded to this, could you please
>respond again to me at this address.  My mechanic just told me that both
>flywheel sensors are shot, and they cost about $200.00 each!
>- -------
>Hi All,
>
>My 1987 325 standard is in the shop today.  I am sending out a plea for
>help as no one seems to know exactly what is wrong with it!  So I call
>upon the collective wisdom of the lists.
>
>When starting on cold mornings the car does some funky things.  The car
>will start and idle fine. but until it is warmed up, (5 minutes) it
>will
>cut back to idle when revved to 2000-2300 RPMs. That is to say you're
>sitting in the car, foot on the gas, slowly pressing the pedal, the
>rpms
>move up the dial until they reach 2000, immediately the car goes back
>idle.  If you leave your foot where it is the car will then rev back up
>to 2000, then drop back to idle, and so on.  If you try to drive the
>car
>like this it is totally unpleasant.  You're in first slowly
>accelerating, then when you hit 2000, BAMM! you are tossed forward in
>your seat, as the car drops back to 750 or so. Same for second gear,
>und so wieder...
>
>If you really jam the pedal hard it will zoom past the magic wasteland
>of 2000-2300 RPM.  However revving super hard is not healthy on the car
>and is still no solution for driveability.
>
>I should add that my cold troubles started about a month ago, but in
>the
>beginning they were different. Car would start and idle fine, but when
>you pressed on the gas, it would run really rough, bucking and coughing
>and smoking and shaking, with very little power (like running on 4
>cylinders) until warmed up.  Is my current problem a manifestation of
>this "old" problem?
>
>So I implore you.  WHAT IS GOING ON??? The mechanic seems to think that
>the flywheel sensor could be at fault.  Any one agree? What does the
>Flywheel sensor do anyway?
>
>Also I've now got a weird gear noise in reverse (started yesterday)
>...but that's a whole other story.
>
>Any responses/ suggestions are MOST welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Cheers,
>Bob Norman
>St. John's, Newfoundland