528e won't start,

The card doesn't start at all there is no clicking sound when turning the
key. I think it's the starter, can anybody tell me how to test the starter to
see if it's working or not. I tried jump wire the the car battery but didn't
start either, this problem started long time ago but I always ignored it
...... I was always was careful when starting the car by turning the switch
slowly other wise it will give me a strange sound khkhkhkhkhkhkhhhh, I kept
ignoring this and finally the switch stoped even responding even when turned
slowly. How can I tell that this is the starter and not the solonoid. someone
told me that it might be the starter solonoid.
any suggestions....
is there a way to start the car by bypassing the starter.
the car been setting for along time now. almost three months ....

Thank You.