<E28> ABS question

So, I can lock the front wheels of my '86 528E during hard braking. This is
very strange behavior for an ABS equipped car. The rotors and pads are all in
fine shape (or the wheels wouldn't lock <g>), the toothed wheels of the front
hubs are new, the sensors all appear to be there, there aren't any lights
flashing away on my dashboard, and to top it off, I've felt the ABS pulsing
away through the pedal at very low speeds under slippery conditions and light
braking. The only thing I can _see_ as being sketchy is the toothed wheels for
the rear wheels are a pretty rusty, which might be giving a falsely low wheel
speed reading from the back end. I haven't taken a multimeter to anything yet,
because I wouldn't know what to check for anyway.

Time to buy the Bentley manual?