[E36 M3] cold temps -> steering doesn't self-center

Noticed something interesting while driving my 95 M3 in New England's
single degree (F) temps over the past few days:

The steering wheel pretty much stays at whatever angle it's turned
too; in other words, it doesn't self center when you let go of it.
(It actually moves a little back to center, but nothing like it
normally does).

Could this be due to the cold temps turning the ps fluid to molasses?

Is this normal?

Does ps fluid need to be replaced?  My Bentley manual desribes a
"bleeding" procedure but it doesn't say when this should be done.
(The ps fluid level is fine).

The alignment hasn't changed since I bought the car, although it's
now running 205/55/16 Blizzaks.

TIA,
James
James McElroy