e30M3 - Intermittently dies at low RPM

I was driving for 100 miles yesterday by the time this happened. I stopped
to take a break and after a 20 minute stop I went back to the car and I
drove for maybe 20 yards before the engine died. I tried restarting twice
like I usually do: without pressing the gas pedal - the car died both times
within a second. I turned off the ignition and opened the hood. The only
thing that was out of the ordinary was a faint odor of burning rubber from
the engine compartment, all the fluids including coolant, fuel and oil
seemed alright (I even checked cold oil level this morning just to be sure).
I then went back to restart the car and this time I pressed 3/4 throttle,
the car started and the RPM shot up fine. I let off the gas and the engine
went down to 1K rpm, then stuttered and died. I let the car sit for another
half minute before restarting. I drove it all the way home by not allowing
the RPMs to drop.

This morning I got into the car and drove for 10 miles before the same
problem occurred - this time while I was driving on the freeway. Same
solution got me in to work, BUT what do I do now? The car is obviously not
working... I would really like to at least know what to expect from the
mechanic before I drive her down there...

Thanks a lot!
Peter